Posts Tagged ‘Local History’

From 1893 a list of premises on Dublin’s Suffolk Street.

From 1893 a list of premises on Dublin’s Suffolk Street.
Amongst them were a lot of Solicitors , the ‘Incorporated Law Society of Ireland Solicitors Apprentices Debating Society’ , Electrical Engineers and a Gun manufacturer.
Click on Image to Enlarge

Brunswick Street (now Pearse Street), Broadstone and Britain Street Little residents in 1893

From the 1893 Thoms directory a list of residents and business on Brunswick Street (now Pearse Street), Broadstone and Britain Street Little.

Continue reading

Details of Donabate in 1893

A description of Donabate and the rate payers from 1893.

An 1893 list of Shops, Homes and Businesses on Dublins Grafton Street

From 1893 a list of premises on Dublin’s Grafton Street.
There are some fantastically descriptive entries
10 Mitchell & Son, confectioners to Her Majesty, Prince of Wales, Prince Edward of Saxe-Weimar, and the Lord Lieutenant, refreshment and dining rooms, 98l

Then there are words no longer in common use such as peruke and portmanteau
11 Perry, Geo. & Co. (limited) trunk and portmanteau makers,
22 Laird, James, hairdresser, patent peruke maker, and perfumer

Items such as sealskin jackets
62 Joyce, Thomas furrier,importer and manufacturer of sealskin jackets and mantle warehouse

Then what business names do I recognize….
Hodges Figgis & Co are there as are James J Fox , Tobacco and cigar merchant.
Switzer & Co limited occupy numbers 88 and 88 1/2 as well as 91,92 and 93.

The Street has a good number of ‘ pharmaceutical chemists, druggists’ and some time, ‘oil and colour merchants’

 

Click on images to enlarge

Continue reading

Details of Tipperary in 1893

Which reads…
TIPPERARY COUNTY,
TIPPERARY, an inland county in Munster province. Boundaries: N., Galway and King’s ; E., King’s, Queen’s and Kilkenny ; S. Waterford,. W., Cork, Limerick, Clare, and Galway. Greatest length, N. and 5., 70 miles greatest breadth, K. and W., 40 miles; comprising an area of 1,061,731 acres ; of which 244,426 are under tillage, 621,364 in pasture’ 21,620 in plantations, 160,720 waste, bog, mountain, &c., and 13,601 under water. The surface rises into tlie mountains of Knockmeledown, the Galtees, and Slievenaman in the S., the group of which Keeperhill is the principal in the W., and into the Slievardagh hills, E. The ,soil of the level country is a rich calcareous loam, of extraordinary fertility, particularly in the tract called the Golden Vale, extending from Limerick to the confines of Kilkenny county.; ‘and in the centre • of which is Tipperary town, and in another similar tract of level ground, in the Ormond baronies. The Suir and Nore rise in the Devil’s Bit mountain, near Templemore; the former, for the greater part of its course, running through the county; the Shannon forms part of its western boundary., The subsoil is clay-slate in the mountain districts, and limestone in the more level tracts,–which form part of the great central plain of Ireland, and include some branches of the Bog of Allen.:! ‘The mineral productions are coal, copper, and lead in large quantities has lately been discovered at Silvermines ; also excellent lire-clay; ‘slates of a good quality are extensively raised near Killaloe copper at Hollyford and lead at Shallee are found most abundantly; the lead is rich in silver. The occupations . are almost wholly agricultural. The produce is principally corn ; wheat is grown in large quantities and of superior quality; dairies are numerous, affording an export of large quantities of butter. Flour and meal are also largely manufactured and exported. The woollen trade, which flourished in the southern part, is nearly extinct. The county is divided into 2 ridings, N. and S., each consisting of 6 baronies, and contains 193 parishes and 3,253 townlands, havin a population in 1891 -of 173,188—males, 86,807; females, 86,381 (Roman Catholics, 162,871 ; Protestant Episcopalians, 9,126; Presbyterians’ 468; Methodists, 558; others, 165) ; or 33,140 families, inhabiting 32,019 houses ; also 2,590 uninhabited, and 64 building. It is in the dioceses of Cashel, Killaloe, and ‘Lismore.
Towns having more than 500 inhabitants in 1891 are
Clonmel (53 being in co. Waterford), . . 8,480
Carrick-on-Suir (1,057 being in co Waterford),5,608
Nenagh, . . . 4,722
Tipperary, . . . 6,391
Thurles, . . 4,511
Fethard, 1,607.
Cashel, . . 3,216
Clogheen, .915,
Roscrea, . . 2,568
Newport, 774.
Templomore, . 2,433
Killenaule 647,
Caher, . . 2,046
Borrisoleigh, 665
Mullinahone, 593
Borrisokane, . 666
Cloughjordan, 558
Cappagh, . 532

Continue reading

An 1892 list of High Sherrifs by County

An 1892 list of High Sherrifs by County

Having put it through OCR software it comes out as…

HIGH SHERIFFS—Dublin Castle, 17th Novomber, 1892.
Names of Gentlemen returned by the Judges of Assize to serve the Office of High Sheriff in 1803.
ANTRIM. Staples, Alexander, esq Portglonone House, Portglenone. Coates.esq, Rathmore, Dunmurry. Jones M’Cance, esq., Larkfield, Dunmurry.
ARMAGH. G Synott esq. Lurganagh, Whitecross. Sinton.esq,Laurel Vale, Tandragee. Off Esq.,Cranagill, Loughgall.
CARRICKFERGUS CO. TOWN. J Craig, Carlton Hall, Carlton-on-Trent, Notts. Bowman esq , Larne. county Antrim. Smyth esq, , Prospect, Carrickfergus.
CARLOW. hastings Weld, esq., Raheenbaun, Kildavin. J Eustace esq, Castlemore, Tullow. ,Westly Hall Dare esq, Newtownbarry House, Ferns.

CAVAN. Patrick Smith esq, Bellamont Forest, Cootehill. Joseph Pratt, Cabra Castle, Kingscourt. well Jamas Boyle, esq., Tullyvin House, Tullyvin.
CLARE. George O’Callaghan Westropp, Coolreagh, Bodyke. Deane O’Grady Roche, esq., Aghade Lodge, Tullow, county Carlow.
Gore, Derrymore, O’Callaghan’s Mills, county Clare.
CORK. Captain Frabcis William Woodley, Leades House, Aghinagh. Reginald Bence Jones, esq., Lissalane, Clonakilty. Henry Lindsay Young, esq., Leemount, Carrigrohon, Cork.
DONEGAL. Thomas J. Atkinson, esq., D.L., Cavan Garden, Ballyshannon. Robert Crawford, esq., Stonewold, Ballyshannon
Henry C Hart, esq., Carrablagh, Portsalon, Letterkenny.
DOWN, John Dunville, esq., Redburn, Hollywood. Arthur Charles Innes Cross, esq., D.L., Dromantine, Newry. William Liddell, esq., Banogue, Donacloney, county Down.
DUBLIN COUNTY. Denis R. O’Callaghan, esq., Brackenstown Houso, Swords. Joshua Joseph Pim, esq., Cabinteely House, Cabinteely.
john G. Nutting, esq., Gortmore, Dundrum.
FERMANAGH. Archibald Collum, esq., 54, Leoson-park, Dublin. Patrick Joseph Conway, req., ‘The Dublin-road, Tuam, county Gal-way, and Gortoral, Swanlinbar. John Brian Frith, jun., esq., The Cross, Enniskillen.
GALWAY COUNTY. Francis J Graham, esq., Ballinakill, Letterfrack . Major Richard Galbraith, Cappard, Loughrea. William Pearse, esq., Roxborough, Loughrea.
GALWAY TOWN. Thomas Jesson, esq., Fort Eyre, Galway. Robert Holmes, esq., Brookwood, Galway. John J. Cheevers, esq., D.L., Killyan, Ballinasloe.
KERRY. The, Viscount Castlerosse, Killarney House, Killarney. Roland George Allanson Winn, req., Glenbeigh Towers, Glenbeigh John McGillycuddy, esq., Aghadoe House, Killarney.
KILDARE. Captain R. Claude Cane, St. Wolstan’s, Celbridge. Hans Hendrick Aylmer, req., Kerdiffstown, Naas. ,Lord Walter Fitzgerald, Kilkea Castle, Mageney.
KILKENNY. The Hon. Richard Bellow, Jenkinstown Park. Colonel Somerset Butler, Kilmurry, Thomastown. The Hon. Henry Edmund Butler, Edge Hall, Leeds.
KING’S COUNTY. I lector Roliert Graham Toler, req.. DL., Durrow Abbey, Tullamore. Frederick P. Bennett, req., Thomastown Park, Parsonstown. James Pen-y Goodbody, esq., Inchinore House, Clara.
LEITRIM. Joseph Henry Beresford Clements, req., Lough Lynn, Dromod. William Rowley, req., Brockley, London. Merrick Lloyd, esq.’ Croghan louse, Croghan, Boyle.
LIMERICK COUNTY. Henry Ormsby floes, req., Ballyclough, Limerick. James O’Grady Delmege, esq., Castle Park, Limerick. Mojor-General Thomas Lloyd, noecinnont, Ratlikettle.
LONDONDERRY CITY AND COUNTY. Sir William Miller, Lonciondorry. Hugh Andorson, esq., Tier Tara, Coleraine. B. 11. M’Corkell, esq., Richmond, Londonderry.
LONGFORD. Molyneux Shuldham, esq., nowerfield House, Port-ate \\art and Sleigh Home. Ballymahon. Edward Randal Skeffington Smyth, req., Mount Henry, Portarling. Ws, Quern’s County. The Hon. E. Pakenham, Pakenham Hall, Caetlepollard, county Westmeath.
LOUTH. M. Pall. Lynch, req., Belrobin, Dundalk. Jolla Dobbin Bell, esq., Killen, Dundalk. Henry Chester, esq., Williamstown, Castlobellingliam. MAYO. Ormsby II. Miller, esq., Blindwell, Foxhill, Than, Edwin Thom. °Donnell, esq., Newport Douse, Newport, county Mayo. General Saunders Knox-Gore, Ardmoil, Torquay, Dovonshiro, and Belleek Manor, Bonilla.
MEATH. Thomas Boylan, req., Hilltown, Drogheda. Francis Blackburn°, esq., Tankardstown, Slane. Captain lilvadalc C. Singleton, Ardclare, Drumcourath.
MONAGHAN. Captain Candy, Rossmore, Monaghan. Joines esq., Glasslough. John Bolton, req., Castle Ring, Louth.
QUEENCOUNTY. u Ion Trout Abbotstown, Cm:del:nook, Standish O’Grady John Parker Hutchinson, esq., Timoney Park, Queen’s County. Charles Joseph Blake, esq., Heath Ilinne, Mmyborough. Rosso:quo:I. Major Michael Burke, Carrowroo Park, Roscommon. Edwin Hughes, esq., Merton Hall, Hollywood. J. ‘Merrick Lloyd, esq., Cwghan Douse, Boyle. Sum, Captain George Gothin, Holywell, Simon Cullen, esq., Rathedmonci,Sligo. Alexander She, rsq., Camphill, Collooney. TIPPERARY. Captain Austin Cooper, Itillinure Castle, Cashel. Captain John Bayly, Debsboro’, Nenagh. Standish O’Giody Parkor Hutchinson, esq., Timoney, Roscrea. Tenures. Colonel W. Hutcheson Poe, Cll., Ashburton House, Putney Heath, London. Emerson C. Herdnian, req., Carricklea House, Strabane. Francis Porter Gunning, req., Notting-hill, Belfast.
WATERFORD COUNTY. Charles Nugent Humble, esq., Cloncoalcsaine, Dungarvan. Charles Edward Denny, esq., Mary Park, Waterford. C. P. Bolton, esq., Brook Lodge, Waterford.
WESTMEATH. William Evans, esq., Gillardstown, Killucon. William E. Wilson, esq., Daramona, Itathowen. Major Edward Murphy, 105, Victotia4street, London.
WEXFORD. Walter Mac5furrough Kavanagh, esq., Kellittatown, Carlow. N. N. Cookman, 0011., Monad, House, Enniscorthy. John Ilawk. Cornock, .4., Cromwellsfort, Wexford.
WICKLOW. Fletcher Moore, esq., The Manor, Kilbride. Captain O’Neal Segrave, Kiltinion, county Wicklow. George Crampton, eaq., Ballyhoolo House, Granges..

Booterstown 1893 – ‘Ample accomodation is afforded for sea bathing by the Railway Company’

Details of Booterstown in 1893. Some choce lines in the description including ‘Ample accomodation is afforded for sea bathing by the Railway Company’ .
We learn of a thing called a Dorcas Society ,trains come every 30 minutes and have descriptions of the Churches.
The roads covered include Booterstown Avenue ( which has a Metropolitan Police Station , is home to a ‘plain and fancy baker’), Dark Avenue, Cross Avenue, Feltham Terrace, Gardiners Row, Somerville Terrace, Paradise Row

Continue reading

Average Price of Agricultural Produce for the years 1887,1888,1889,1890 and 1891

Here we have the Average Price of Agricultural Produce for the years 1887,1888,1889,1890 and 1891 as collected by the Irish Land Commission. Prices are on a Provincial and an Island basis.
Produce includes Barley, Wheat, Oats, Hay, Potatoes, Butter as well as both Cattle and Sheep.

Kingstown (Dun Laoghaire) in 1893

Which Reads….
KINGSTOWN.
KINGSTOWN, a seaport town, and the royal mail packet station of the metropolis, in the parish of Monkstown, Rathdown barony, Dublin county, six miles E.S.E. from the General Post Office, Dublin. This is one of the most populous and wealthy townships in the kingdom, the number of inhabitants within the limits of the town under the operation of the Towns Improvement Act, 1854, is 17,500, in 1891, 17,340, and the rateable valuation of property £77,650. Receipts, 1891, £23,341, 15s. ld. ; Expenditure, X23,295, 8s. lid. : Debt, -X42,792, The district comprises Monkstown, Dunleary, Kingstown proper, and Glasthule, the area being 903 acres. The town is situated on the south shore of Dublin bay, and derives its name from King George IV., who embarked here 3rd September, 1821, when the harbour was also called the ” Royal Harbour of George I V.” as is inscribed on a granite obelisk, surmounted by a crown, near the wharf, erected by the Harbour Commissioners to commemorate the occasion. In 1849, and again in 1861, Her Majesty Queen Victoria landed here on the jetty facing the harbour, since called the Victoria -Wharf. The public buildings are, the Railway Terminus, St. Michael’s Hospital, Royal St. George Yacht Club, Royal Irish Yacht Club, Kingstown Yacht Club, Absolute Boat Club, Town Hall, George I V.’s Obelisk, Post Office, and Boyd Testimonial, the latter erected on the east pier, from the design of Mr. Owen, at a cost of X160, subscribed by the St. George’s Yacht Club. It commemorates the bravery of Captain Boyd, who lost his life while striving to save seamen on the 9th February, 1861, when fourteen vessels were lost in the harbour in a terrible gale from the N. E. There is also a Sailor’s Home and Reading Room. The Churches are, Mariners’ Church, Christ Church, Congregational Church, St. John’s Church, St. Paul’s Church, St. Michael’s Roman Catholic Church, St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church, Presbyterian Church, and Methodist Church. There are Metropolitan Police and Coast Guard Stations, Branches of the National and Royal Banks, and National and Christian Brothers ‘schools. There are several hotels, the principal of which are the Royal Marine, Anglesea Arms, Brazil’s, and Ross’s private hotel. The houses in the terraces and others fronting the harbour areelegsnt and costly buildings. The town is lighted with gas. The Royal Harbour, from which the town may be said to date its origin, was commenced in 1816, from designs of the late Mr. Rennie,by direction of the Lords of the Admiralty, and finished ill 1859, at a cost of X825,000. The east pier is 3,500 feet in length; and the west, 4,950 feet from the shore—leaving at the mouth an open of 760 feet : the whole forming an area of 230 acres, varying in depth from 15 to 27 feet. The quay along the piers is 40 feet wide, protected from the sea by a parapet, nine feet high_ On the quay,along the breast of the harbour, is a wharf 500 feet in length, where vessels, drawing as much as 24 feet, may load and unload at any state of the tide. On the extremity of the east pier is a bright revolving light, which may be seen, every half minute, nine miles at sea, in clear weather ; and on the we pier head is a red light defining the entrance to the harbour. The City of Dublin Company’s Royal Mail steam packets, Ulster, Munster, Leinster, Connaught, and Ireland, start from Holyhead twice every day with the Mails and passengers. The first packet from Kingstown leaves at 7.5 A.M.; the second packet at 7.25 P.M. Passengers from Dublin leave by special trains at 6.15 A.M. and 7.0 P.M. These packets leave Holyhead, the first at 2.40 due at Kingstowia at 6.0 A.M. ; the second at 20 minutes past 1 P.M., due at Kingstown. at 5.25 P.M. : trains for Dublin start immediately on the landing of -the mails and passengers at Kingstown. There are daily packets to and from Holyhead and Liverpool from the North-wall, Dublin. The railway from Kingstown to Dublin waa

Continue reading