Posts Tagged ‘clonmel’

Details of Tipperary in 1893

Which reads…
TIPPERARY COUNTY,
TIPPERARY, an inland county in Munster province. Boundaries: N., Galway and King’s ; E., King’s, Queen’s and Kilkenny ; S. Waterford,. W., Cork, Limerick, Clare, and Galway. Greatest length, N. and 5., 70 miles greatest breadth, K. and W., 40 miles; comprising an area of 1,061,731 acres ; of which 244,426 are under tillage, 621,364 in pasture’ 21,620 in plantations, 160,720 waste, bog, mountain, &c., and 13,601 under water. The surface rises into tlie mountains of Knockmeledown, the Galtees, and Slievenaman in the S., the group of which Keeperhill is the principal in the W., and into the Slievardagh hills, E. The ,soil of the level country is a rich calcareous loam, of extraordinary fertility, particularly in the tract called the Golden Vale, extending from Limerick to the confines of Kilkenny county.; ‘and in the centre • of which is Tipperary town, and in another similar tract of level ground, in the Ormond baronies. The Suir and Nore rise in the Devil’s Bit mountain, near Templemore; the former, for the greater part of its course, running through the county; the Shannon forms part of its western boundary., The subsoil is clay-slate in the mountain districts, and limestone in the more level tracts,–which form part of the great central plain of Ireland, and include some branches of the Bog of Allen.:! ‘The mineral productions are coal, copper, and lead in large quantities has lately been discovered at Silvermines ; also excellent lire-clay; ‘slates of a good quality are extensively raised near Killaloe copper at Hollyford and lead at Shallee are found most abundantly; the lead is rich in silver. The occupations . are almost wholly agricultural. The produce is principally corn ; wheat is grown in large quantities and of superior quality; dairies are numerous, affording an export of large quantities of butter. Flour and meal are also largely manufactured and exported. The woollen trade, which flourished in the southern part, is nearly extinct. The county is divided into 2 ridings, N. and S., each consisting of 6 baronies, and contains 193 parishes and 3,253 townlands, havin a population in 1891 -of 173,188—males, 86,807; females, 86,381 (Roman Catholics, 162,871 ; Protestant Episcopalians, 9,126; Presbyterians’ 468; Methodists, 558; others, 165) ; or 33,140 families, inhabiting 32,019 houses ; also 2,590 uninhabited, and 64 building. It is in the dioceses of Cashel, Killaloe, and ‘Lismore.
Towns having more than 500 inhabitants in 1891 are
Clonmel (53 being in co. Waterford), . . 8,480
Carrick-on-Suir (1,057 being in co Waterford),5,608
Nenagh, . . . 4,722
Tipperary, . . . 6,391
Thurles, . . 4,511
Fethard, 1,607.
Cashel, . . 3,216
Clogheen, .915,
Roscrea, . . 2,568
Newport, 774.
Templomore, . 2,433
Killenaule 647,
Caher, . . 2,046
Borrisoleigh, 665
Mullinahone, 593
Borrisokane, . 666
Cloughjordan, 558
Cappagh, . 532

Continue reading