Archive for the ‘Kingstown’ Category

Kingstown (Dun Laoghaire) in 1893

Which Reads….
KINGSTOWN.
KINGSTOWN, a seaport town, and the royal mail packet station of the metropolis, in the parish of Monkstown, Rathdown barony, Dublin county, six miles E.S.E. from the General Post Office, Dublin. This is one of the most populous and wealthy townships in the kingdom, the number of inhabitants within the limits of the town under the operation of the Towns Improvement Act, 1854, is 17,500, in 1891, 17,340, and the rateable valuation of property £77,650. Receipts, 1891, £23,341, 15s. ld. ; Expenditure, X23,295, 8s. lid. : Debt, -X42,792, The district comprises Monkstown, Dunleary, Kingstown proper, and Glasthule, the area being 903 acres. The town is situated on the south shore of Dublin bay, and derives its name from King George IV., who embarked here 3rd September, 1821, when the harbour was also called the ” Royal Harbour of George I V.” as is inscribed on a granite obelisk, surmounted by a crown, near the wharf, erected by the Harbour Commissioners to commemorate the occasion. In 1849, and again in 1861, Her Majesty Queen Victoria landed here on the jetty facing the harbour, since called the Victoria -Wharf. The public buildings are, the Railway Terminus, St. Michael’s Hospital, Royal St. George Yacht Club, Royal Irish Yacht Club, Kingstown Yacht Club, Absolute Boat Club, Town Hall, George I V.’s Obelisk, Post Office, and Boyd Testimonial, the latter erected on the east pier, from the design of Mr. Owen, at a cost of X160, subscribed by the St. George’s Yacht Club. It commemorates the bravery of Captain Boyd, who lost his life while striving to save seamen on the 9th February, 1861, when fourteen vessels were lost in the harbour in a terrible gale from the N. E. There is also a Sailor’s Home and Reading Room. The Churches are, Mariners’ Church, Christ Church, Congregational Church, St. John’s Church, St. Paul’s Church, St. Michael’s Roman Catholic Church, St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church, Presbyterian Church, and Methodist Church. There are Metropolitan Police and Coast Guard Stations, Branches of the National and Royal Banks, and National and Christian Brothers ‘schools. There are several hotels, the principal of which are the Royal Marine, Anglesea Arms, Brazil’s, and Ross’s private hotel. The houses in the terraces and others fronting the harbour areelegsnt and costly buildings. The town is lighted with gas. The Royal Harbour, from which the town may be said to date its origin, was commenced in 1816, from designs of the late Mr. Rennie,by direction of the Lords of the Admiralty, and finished ill 1859, at a cost of X825,000. The east pier is 3,500 feet in length; and the west, 4,950 feet from the shore—leaving at the mouth an open of 760 feet : the whole forming an area of 230 acres, varying in depth from 15 to 27 feet. The quay along the piers is 40 feet wide, protected from the sea by a parapet, nine feet high_ On the quay,along the breast of the harbour, is a wharf 500 feet in length, where vessels, drawing as much as 24 feet, may load and unload at any state of the tide. On the extremity of the east pier is a bright revolving light, which may be seen, every half minute, nine miles at sea, in clear weather ; and on the we pier head is a red light defining the entrance to the harbour. The City of Dublin Company’s Royal Mail steam packets, Ulster, Munster, Leinster, Connaught, and Ireland, start from Holyhead twice every day with the Mails and passengers. The first packet from Kingstown leaves at 7.5 A.M.; the second packet at 7.25 P.M. Passengers from Dublin leave by special trains at 6.15 A.M. and 7.0 P.M. These packets leave Holyhead, the first at 2.40 due at Kingstowia at 6.0 A.M. ; the second at 20 minutes past 1 P.M., due at Kingstown. at 5.25 P.M. : trains for Dublin start immediately on the landing of -the mails and passengers at Kingstown. There are daily packets to and from Holyhead and Liverpool from the North-wall, Dublin. The railway from Kingstown to Dublin waa

Continue reading